July 29, 2020

Sacrament Meeting Talk given November 2019


Good morning. My name is Raenie Pratt, I’m from the Copperleaf Ward. I was recently called this summer as the second counselor in the Stake Primary Presidency. It has been a great privilege for me to get to know and serve with Sister Merrill, Sister Dixon, and Sister Nielson over these past few months. Thank you for inviting me to visit the Southlands Ward and speak with you today. It is comforting to see a few familiar faces in the congregation including my brother Jacob and his family.
As part of my calling, I get to support each of the Primary presidencies in the stake by attending their primary sacrament programs. We have been able to attend many of them over the past couple of months and it has been a real privilege. What is it about children bearing testimony, reading scripture, and singing songs that invite the Spirit so strongly? I’m telling you it is the real deal! Every single program we’ve attended the spirit touches us in a different way. Sometimes it’s through the powerful testimonies and personal experiences we hear, other times its the reverent nature the children behave. But ALWAYS no matter what, it’s the music! There is absolute power and a tangible spirit felt when the children sing about Jesus Christ.
Elder Dieter F Uchtdorf recently posted on Instagram:
“Oh, how I love Primary programs! Last week, Harriet and I were in San Francisco. We wanted to attend an inner-city ward. When we arrived at the chosen ward, we discovered that it was the day of their Primary program. We were thrilled! It was beautiful to see that in the middle of this big city, there are so many dear children learning about and testifying of Jesus Christ. We also found out that this is the ward

Harriet’s mother attended in 1965! We took a moment to stop by her old apartment for a photo.”
“I express my gratitude to Primary leaders and parents who help prepare children for these primary programs. These children share testimonies of faith by reading scriptures, giving talks, and singing—all of which far outweigh any boredom or fear some children might feel. Children remind us that Jesus Christ is the reason we can all feel joy!”

As I have visited the different wards in our stake, and by the way, we have some AMAZING children and leaders in our stake, I have been moved by some of the things they have said. Here is just a sampling of what the children have testified:
“I can show my love for Jesus by giving hugs.”
“I
know that Jesus loves me.”
“I can show my love for Jesus by helping those with special needs.”
“I can feel the spirit when I read the scriptures.”
“I can show my love for Jesus by sharing my toys with my siblings even though it’s hard.”
“He’s my savior, I feel happy when I look at him and I know he’s the son of god.”
“I pray for my grandma and grandpa, my family and friends.”
“I pray for my dog.”
“I pray for lots of candy!”
“I feel the spirit when I sing primary songs, there is a lot of power in the words.”

Finally, in one ward each Sunbeam came up and said:
“I know Jesus loves me.” and then a little nursery boy in the congregation shouted “me too!!”

Did you feel the power behind these simple phrases? Do we sometimes complicate our worship and devotion to our savior? I know I do sometimes.
Let me share with you one more child from our stake. His name is Adam and I got permission from his Primary president to share his talk with you. Notice his simplicity, his conviction, and his determination.
“I know the Creator has a plan for us. I was born in my family for a reason, I am here because He has a plan and I will try to follow his plan. I will try my best to be a better person, to be a good example, to be the best I can, to love everyone and to improve people’s lives. I am Adam and I will follow God’s plan for me.”
That was a drop the mic moment right there for me! I feel like I could just end my talk right now, but President Nielson might not appreciate that.
In 3 John 1:4 is says:
“I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.”

Truly I feel such joy knowing that the children in our stake are being taught truth, singing the truths of the gospel, and testifying of simple truths of the doctrine.
In this past general conference, Sister Michelle Craig, First Counselor in the Young Women General Presidency spoke about ways to increase our spiritual capacity and to receive personal revelation. This particular topic has been on my mind a lot and when I heard her speak in Conference it was as if she were speaking directly to me.
Sister Craig says, “The Church’s new program for children and youth is built on the foundation of learning to seek revelation, discovering what the Lord would have us do, and then acting on that direction. Each one of us, regardless of our age or circumstance, can strive to seek, receive, and act. As you follow this eternal pattern ordained for our day, you will draw nearer to Jesus Christ—His love, His light, His direction, His peace, and His healing and enabling power. And you will increase your spiritual capacity to become an everyday instrument of His hands in accomplishing His great work.”
Each of us, even the children, have the responsibility to, like Sister Craig says, seek the Lord’s will, receive His direction and act on the promptings we receive. These are included in the basic simple truths of the gospel.
Sister Craig advises us to “Pick a time and place, and listen for God’s voice every day. And keep this sacred appointment with exactness, for so very much depends on it!”
We recently had a discussion in our family about how we were doing with our personal prayers every day. Each member of our family had an opportunity to share their struggles and their successes. As we listened to each other we came to realize a pattern. We simply forget to say our prayers on a consistent basis! Which led to a discussion about our baptismal covenant to always remember Him. We decided as a family that we needed to do a better job of putting Christ first. For me, I started setting my alarm to wake me up 5 minutes earlier so that I was sure to have time to say my prayers before I start my day.
Sister Craig goes on to admonish us to act without delay. “When we receive promptings and then act with intention, the Lord can use you.”
“The prayer Heavenly Father seems eager to answer is our plea to be led to someone who needs our help.”

“One of the most difficult dilemmas in life can occur when we sense that a loved one or friend needs help, but we’re not sure how to provide it. Perhaps we see a child crying. Something has upset her, but when we ask what’s wrong, she quickly replies, “Nothing.” Maybe a friend has lost a job, and we want to show our support and sympathy. But it is often difficult to find the right words. Perhaps a neighbor has suffered a loss, and we want to provide what comfort we can. But we are also reluctant to intrude inappropriately.”
“It is easy under such circumstances to feel helpless or inadequate, with little comfort to offer and little joy to share. It is important, however, that we not allow our feelings of discomfort to prevent us from offering what aid we can. Almost always, the help we offer will be gratefully received. Sometimes even a small gesture that says “I care” can be enough to make a difference.”
“A family was traveling on vacation when suddenly their car broke down. The father raised the hood to look at the engine and discovered new parts were needed. Unfortunately, the nearest town was miles away.”
“Just then another car—also containing several children—pulled up behind them and stopped. The father in that car soon assessed the needs of these strangers and drove to the next town and back to bring the necessary parts.”
“The stranded family was astonished at such kindness and tried to express their gratitude. But the benevolent stranger waved away their thanks, simply saying, “Every day we pray as a family that the Lord will lead us to people who can use our help.” They felt grateful to be used as a tool in God’s hands.”
“One woman was well known among her friends and associates for sending flowers. Instead of coming on predictable dates such as birthdays and anniversaries, however, the tumble of flowers always arrived unexpectedly with a simple handwritten note that said, “Just thinking of you.” When asked what prompted this lovely act, the woman
said: ‘If somebody’s on your mind, that’s a sign you should do something—call, visit, drop a line. Maybe what you do won’t make a difference to that person—but maybe it will.’”
“A businessman sat in a busy airport and noticed a young mother struggling with a tired, crying child. At first, he was reluctant to intrude. He was, after all, a stranger. Perhaps an offer to help would be resented, he thought. But seeing and edge of desperation on the young woman’s face persuaded him to intervene. She responded to his offered help with a grateful thank you. He held her child while she filled a bottle and watched her bags as she changed the baby’s diaper. Although his aid lasted only a few minutes and he never saw her again, he had the satisfaction of knowing that he had made a difference and had turned a difficult moment into a manageable one for someone who, however briefly, had needed him.” This Day And Always by Lloyd D. Newell
“The Lord sends revelation to those seeking to help others.” “...each of us has a different mission to perform...there are many ways to build the kingdom of God. You have unique missions and roles to perform in life and will be given unique guidance to fulfill them.”
“The Lord is mindful of those who obey and, in the words of Nephi, will ‘prepare a way for [us to] accomplish the things which he commandeth.’ Note that Nephi says, ‘a way’—not ‘the way.’”
“Do we miss or dismiss personal errands from the Lord because He has prepared ‘a way’ different from the one we expect?” Sister Craig
Do not dismiss a prompting you receive. It is so important that we follow through with what God would have us do. We do this through living the simple gospel truths taught in Primary, seeking the Lord’s will in our lives, and then acting upon those promptings. I know the Savior lives. I know he is keenly aware of each of us and loves us. I feel His love when I sing the Primary songs, when I receive priesthood blessings from my husband, and when I see my children being touched by the Holy Ghost. I aspire to be like our primary friend Adam and I echo his words, I am Raenie and I will follow God’s plan for me!

No comments: